Sunday, October 26, 2014

21 minutes

                It was a Christmas Eve. Fog stuck to the tarmac at Lindbergh field.  Just like every other night was awaiting the arrival of my husband. 7:00 pm, the phone rang; someone was on the other line. “Hello” no answer. “Hello?” again no answer.
                The phone beeps, notifying me the mysterious caller has nothing to say. I had an overwhelming feeling of confusion come over me as I put the phone down and went back to roasting chestnuts over an open fire.  7:30 comes around and I hear someone at the door thinking it was my husband I ran to the door and swung it open. To my surprise it was not him, I saw foot prints in the snow leading to the street. Starting to get worried I called my husband and it went right to voice mail; of course. Trying not to think so much about the mysterious things that were happening I started to hang the stockings by the chimney with care. Turning to look out the window I see a group of people walking down the street there is maybe 10 or 12 of them.  “It’s probably nothing.” I tell myself.  It’s finally 8:00 and my husband is pulling into the driveway! I was so excited he was finally home and we could have dinner and watch Christmas movie classics. As we are eating dinner I tell him about all the strange things that happened while he was at work. “It just sounds like some little kids running around in the snow no need to worry.” He said.

Now it’s 9:00 the door bell rings I make my husband go answer it and I fallow behind, he goes to open it I’m peaking around the corner, scared it might be the people that called or run up to the house and then left but got the courage to come back and rob us because they knew we were home? I bet they just want our presents from Santa.  He opens it, “Hello?” “One… Two… Three… We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christ mass, and a happy new year!” Boy do I feel dumb… “See I told you it was nothing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment